As we prepare for closing, there are so many exciting decisions to make. Some of these choices will require the investment of a substantial amount, therefore I must make sure to truly evaluate each option before jumping the gun and going for it. In the past, I have been known to come up with a 'brilliant' idea and run out to buy the paint and supplies to complete it....without examining how the color or style or pattern will flow with the rest of the home. (Hello bright red walls in the bedroom!) Now, I am starting with a somewhat blank canvas (as each room needs updating) and want to make sure I don't push ahead too quickly. This is going to be a challenge to me, because I am certainly one of those people who appreciates instant gratification and it is harder for me to complete a project fully, the way it is meant to be done for lasting design, step by step. David will be a great ally in this whole process, because he tends to think decisions such as these through a bit more than me. Although he's giving me the reins to make design decisions, he wants to have input into the style of the home to ensure he's as comfortable as me. Hey, we might be living here for quite some time!
The main decisions that need to be made include:
- paint colors for each room
- shape/design of crown molding and baseboards
- floor refinishing vs. floor replacement
- kitchen cabinetry and countertop selection
- master bedroom closet design - which room should we use as our closet (we currently have a closet and nursey side by side, either would be a good option, but one has windows and one does not, plus we might put in a 3rd bathroom at some point)
- furniture purchases as we now only have enough furniture for one bedroom
For now, I'm searching blogs, Martha Stewart's website, architectural magazines, and any information/pictures to do with river homes and cottages for ideas. I've also found a few craft websites that have been helpful, that give great ideas on a tight budget. I'd appreciate any and all ideas!!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment